Attending: Carol Jacobson, Mark Clark, Olivia Jaramillo, Pat Papisch, Kerry Dalen, Gerald Wilson, Roger Peery, Nick Pavlakos, Roger Aguiar, Omar Durant, Barb Villa, Nancy Lewis, Claude Lewis, and Rob Cronin.
Meeting convened at 6:33 pm.
Review November minutes meeting & Approval Minutes of the November board meeting were reviewed and approved. Carol had e-mailed November minutes prior to today’s meeting. Minutes were approved.
Review Treasurer’s Report & Approval - Omar Omar e-mailed treasurer’s report prior to the meeting. One addition: HBANA received $300 and $100 checks received from companies filming in the neighborhood. Report was approved.
Boutique Distillery Plans for Jackson at Central Review of Facilitated Meeting – Wednesday, January 11, 2016, 6 pm at Mesa Verde Community Center – Rob Rob forwarded location and time/day of facilitated meeting on short notice. Meeting site was Mesa Verde Community Center. Facilitators will forward minutes of meeting to Rob to distribute. Rob and Mark attended meeting. The business partners answered questions that Rob had prepared.
Distillery presentation (15 minutes) – Nick Pavlakos, Short power point presentation (6 slides) of the location, plans, parking, the copper stills, and photo of the building.
Overview: Tasting room – allowed to serve up to 2 oz of the distilled product at tastings. Copper stills in a glass walled production room will be featured on site. Light refreshment will be served at tasting of product. Parking lot is on the north side of the building. (35 parking spaces) Owners hope to help with economic development along Central in the area. Production meets the emissions requirements of the City of ABQ. Owners have Federal Alcohol Beverage and Industrial Distiller License Pending Licenses State of New Mexico Craft Distiller and Tasting Room City of Albuquerque special use permit on distillery. Licenses are nontransferable, site specific, and individuals who made application. If facility went out of business, new distillers would have to do their own applications for their own licenses.
There are three or four similar distilleries in NM
Market for product is to sell to wholesale and restaurant suppliers, on line supplier, tasting room – . Package sales 750 ml bottle minimum Starting price $40-50.00 Small batch distiller 10 -20 gallons per batch Custom ordered batches – orders from restaurant
Signage for the exterior will be the same size as the old Chinese restaurant sign.
Nancy Bearce had e-mailed a question about discharge into city sewer – leftovers from distilling can go to compose or landfill; the waste liquid about 20 gallons out of 30-gallon batch would go into drains – Federal license covered the emissions and waste water.
ZHE hearing next Tuesday, January 17, 2017, at 9 am.
Board members shared their thoughts after presentation. No opposition was made by Board members. Several members thought it would be a positive impact in the neighborhood.
Micro-Brewery proposed for Adams off South of Central
Brief Discussion – Rob/all Microbrewery presented at November meeting.
Carol review her notes on the presentation. Mark Baker, owner of property – for 10 years- 5000 sq ft - C2 zoning. Hours of operation will be 10 am to 10 pm Thursday through Sunday.
Microbrewery will serve product on site. Beer and wine served. Seating areas are inside and outside on a patio and a small area on the roof top. No food or music space on site. Food truck would park next to building in their parking lot. It is not clear about how customers would access food truck while they are drinking their microbrews.
Current tenant (tattoo shop) will move out if brewery is approved.
Permit parking requirements for 102 people are met with the 23 parking spaces available on the south side of property. Concern is that the brewery is next to residential areas on Adams. The rest of the block on Adams is quadraplexes so parking on street is limited.
Concern: outdoor music and its effect on neighborhood. Don’t know how contained the customers will be.
Growlers (quart size containers) – take away container of beer produced on site will be sold on site.
Conditions of license were not reviewed nor were any emissions requirements presented.
Board members shared their thoughts about the proposed project. Concerns: noise, food truck activity, licensing, drinking outside the building, traffic on Roma and Adams. Potential for a new successful business in the neighborhood. Nursery is around the corner, the church, and the Zia Elementary are nearby. Microbrewery is across the street is the children’s chess academy.
Board members were split about microbrewery.
Rob suggested drafting a letter to ZHC with points of concern about permit and ask for clarification of the license and its limits.
ZHE meeting is in a month. Carol and Rob will draft a letter and cc to Consensus Makers
Neighborhood Sign Update - Ana Sign # 4 Update & Costs Next Steps e-mailed report in Ana Ana is waiting for costs from the city.
Zia Park Update - Olivia
Sean Foran (City of Albuquerque – Analyst for Councilor Davis) responded to Olivia’s questions: The December 8 start to Zia park improvements were pushed back to January due to delays at Westgate Hts. He gave a tentative start improvements on January 30 and improvements will take a week to make.
Neighborhood Crime Issues - Rob Transgender Resource Center TGRC Harm Reduction Update – syringe exchange program offered on site – meetings with TGRC & City of ABQ Planning. The TGRC doesn’t meet the guidelines of operating a syringe exchange site per City of ABQ ordinances. TGRC was given a cease and desist order on the syringe exchange.
Jackson Street Task Force Update Group met at St Timothy Lutheran Church on Monday, January 9. Participants shared stories of property crimes in the neighborhood. Group will start gathering a list activities to report incidents to State Harm Reduction Program.
Goal of Working Group is a safer and crime free neighborhood. Rob suggested that the group could be a sub-group of HBANA.
The working group is requesting a meeting with APD SE Hts Command representatives – Laura Kuehn. Neighborhood watch program is forming. Rob suggested meeting with APD. Rob spoke with Laura Kuehn at APD SE Hts Command. Laura encouraged the formation of the neighborhood watch.
Review By-Laws about HB&NA Board membership – Omar/Pat
Should we have more at-large members? Or Just have open meetings where all are welcome?
Round Table Sharing Where do the checks from filming companies come from; One check is from Better Call Saul.
Reserve space now for annual meeting September 24 at St Tim’s
HBANA archive? Nancy has a box of past HBANA materials. Carol brought a brochure on the Jefferson Townhouses from the 80s. Nancy will keep with the archive box.
Cement truck tried to dump in the alley behind Carol’s house last week.
Olivia and Pat will draft a letter of concern about the syringe exchange program and share
Rob and Carol will draft a letter about the microbrewery
HBANA will send doughnuts to APD SE Hts Command. Pat will take over cookies this month. Adjourned 8:16 pm.
Next Meeting February 9, 2017, 6:30 – 8:00 pm Location: Manzano del Sol Conference Room