Minutes of HBANA Meeting - February 9, 2017
Attending: Katherine Hall, Anne Hubbard, Carol Jacobson, Mark Clark, Omar Durant, Barb Villa, Claude & Nancy Lewis, Elizabeth Stacy Vencill, and Rob Cronin.
Meeting convened at 7:30 pm.
Approval of January meeting minutes - Mark
Minutes of the January board meeting were reviewed and approved. Minutes were approved.
Approval of Treasurer’s Report- Omar
The following is the HBANA Treasurer Report for January 2017:
Beginning balance as of Jan 1: $4,602.03
Deposits: $400.00 (two checks for filming in the HBANA area: $100.00 and $300.00)
Checks and Withdrawals: $0.00
Ending balance as of Jan 31: $5,002.03
The required annual corporation report to the NM Secretary of State Office was submitted on February 6, 2017
Report was approved.
7-11 Special Exemption Application to ZHE to allow sale of package liquor - Rob
Board unanimously opposes permit request for 7-11 special exemption application to ZHE to allow sale of package liquor.
The zoning permit process reviewed:
Business must go before ZHE and ZHE notifies neighborhood association. Permit sign must be posted on site and one is posted on the property on the corner by clothing drop off.
Engage with the ZHE officer
Request a delay for a facilitated meeting with the business and the neighborhood association
Discussion of strategies to oppose the permit
Nob Hill Neighborhood Association will discuss the permit request at their meeting on Monday.
Adjacent neighborhood associations, McDuffie Twin Parks and Pueblo Alto, have been notified about the 7-11 permit request by Rob.
Rob will continue to be the point person, but he is asking for Board members to step up and assist with this permit process.
Rob – will request a delay of the ZHE permit hearing until March and to request a facilitated meeting.
Rob – will forward the time and location of a meeting to strategize responses to the 7-11 special exemption application.
As of February 16: Victor Lopez has taken over as the point person on the opposition for the 7-11 special exemption application to allow sale of package liquor.
Microbrewery proposed on Adams – Rob/all
Carol wrote a letter with the issues of concern to be addressed for the business owner. The letter was sent to Jaime Jaramillo at Consensus Planning Inc., the facilitated member agency.
Rob received a response letter from Consensus Planning. Rob had forwarded the response letter to the Board, and he reviewed the responses to the issues of concern at the meeting for comments.
Carole suggested forwarding response letter to Pat Davis and notify the ZHE
Rob asked Carol to draft a cover letter to the response letter for the ZHE.
Rob – will forward response letter to Pat Davis and ZHE.
Carol will draft a cover letter to the response letter for the ZHE.
Neighborhood sign update – Anna/see e-mail
Sign # 4: Neighborhood sign update:
HBANA sign proposal is being rewritten to address the specifics of the sign design.
Next Steps: Work order for the sign will be made after the revised specifications for the design are made.
Zia Park Update - Rob
Track surfacing is complete. Zia Park group to meet and to ask for benches and tables in the park.
Neighborhood Crime Issues - Rob
Report: Southeast Corridor/District 6 Crime & Safety prevention meeting at Wilson MS Library prior to HBANA meeting today.
Pat, Rob, Olivia, and Elizabeth attended along with other business owners from the Highland neighborhood.
Group table discussions focused on action steps on: neighborhood watch programs, home security & safety, business security & safety, and neighborhood multimodal security & safety (safety for pedestrians, cyclists and bus passengers.
Neighborhood patrols and more lighting and more uniform lighting in the neighborhood and business areas were discussed.
Update on the Transgender Resource Center
The syringe exchange program meets with state approval – 100 enrollees or less – and the program is exempt from local ordinances.
Concern: syringes on the street – who picks up them up
Review By-Laws about HB&NA Board membership – Omar/Pat
Should we have more at-large members?
Or just have open meetings where all are welcome?
The agenda item was tabled due to the length of this abbreviated meeting.
Round Table Sharing
Carlos Scarborough is on sabbatical as HBANA Vice President for a few months. He had wanted to resign due to personal issues.
Annual Meeting is scheduled for September 25.
National Night Out Planning – place on March Agenda
Comp Plan - Elizabeth
Proposed changes in land use and zoning in the updating of the City of ABQ Comprehensive Land Use Plan were pointed out. The current Comp Plan has Sectors Plans for neighborhoods. These sector plans will be replaced by the new Comp Plan and a Citizen’s Academy will be created to address community concerns regarding permitting requests.
March 6 City Councilor Meeting will have the Comp Plan on the agenda.
The meeting adjourned at 9:05 pm.
Rob – National Night Out will be on the March agenda.
Elizabeth – will forward the Historic Neighborhood Alliance letter and any other letters from other neighborhood associations to Carol to forward to the HBANA Board.
City of ABQ link to the Comp Plan update:
City of ABQ link to current Comp Plan:
March 9, 2017, 6:30 – 8:00 pm
Location: Manzano del Sol Conference Room